I had the remarkable opportunity yesterday to interview Coach Larry Gelwix who has been coaching the Highland High School Rugby Team for the past 35 years. This team was recently featured in a powerful and inspiring movie, “Forever Strong.” Larry has led the team to an amazing record of 401 wins and 9 losses in his time as coach. The success of the team is not luck or fortunate genetics, but application of principles year after year. He shared with me five strategies for the team's success, which also apply in every other aspect of life.
- Choose which team you play for.
- Don't play with snakes.
- Hit the ground running – attitude and effort are everything.
- Plan and play to W.I.N. (what's important now).
- Keep your focus on the final score.
Listen in on my conversation with this inspiring man at Live On Purpose Radio.
Attitude and effort are everything!
– Coach Larry Gelwix, Highland Rugby
Join the discussion One Comment
Love these strategies! A principled coach I look to as a great mentor is Bronco Mendenhall.